Singapore Adventurers' Club

Adventure Diary 2010s

MacRitchie to Bukit Timah Trail (27 August 2017)


by Hua Chai Sing

We met at the zig zag bridge in MacRitchie Reservoir at 8.00am. Due to the heavy rains, we waited at the shelter area at the zig-zag bridge till 8.45am before starting our leisurely Sunday stroll through the MacRitchie Reservoir and passing through spore island country club and then the finest moment was entering the forest area just before rifle range.

It was a 1 km walk inside the forest without trails as fallen trees had taken over. We stayed closed to the stream to ensure that we were in the right direction. Our leader Yee Lee did a wonderful guide in ensuring all of us went through the jungle successfully.

Finally out of the jungle, we took a normal path to head straight to Bukit Timah trail. The 3 younger hikers went up the Bukit Timah summit parted with us a few hundred metres before the summit while the rest of us went down the summit. Finally after Yee Lee and myself went to Savour the char Kway Teow and pear/starfruit drink and sugar cane drink at Beauty World Hawker Centre before ending the trail with good memories of the beauty of Singapore nature forest.

It was a great morning to spend in the last frontier of Singapore reserve forest. I learnt that lots of training at Bukit Timah Hill is a great basic way to endure that we build stamina and endurance for future trips to other higher mountains. Just do it!

Gunung Belumut Trek (20 August 2017)


by Hua Chai Sing

A mountain that I could only marvel in terms of the number of leeches.

We started climbing at 10.45am and had to reach peak by 2pm. I was only half way at 1.30pm so I took my lunch with Yee Lee at the half way mark. It was then that I decided with Yee Lee to take a leisurely time to go down as we were conserving our energy.

My thighs were sore so was my knees. The pounding and turnings as well as the sprained ankle makes it tougher. I realised that I was not fit enough. But was truly amazed at all my other participants who shown true grit and toughness to reach the TOP of 1010m. It is the fourth highest mountain in Johore but then this is a mountain that you must trained before going up.

By 6.45pm, we were all ready to go for dinner at cincin restaurant at Kluang with its delicious fried ducks. The eating was excellent in both price and quality. The 9 of us thoroughly enjoyed this special dinner which was the highlight beside the weary climb.

It was one of the few times that I was not able to finish the climb but I spent more time along the way and hearing the sounds of the forests. The magical of the forests helped me to understand the nature peacefulness and quietness.

The leeches bites were also memorable. Anyone who wants to have bad bloods removed can go to Gunung Belumut. Leeches await you with full vitality.

Finally I realised my new hiking Salomon shoes could not helped me too much. My black diamond stick was broken along the way as it could not take my weights when I missed my balance. The only remembrance I had was the live bites from the leeches at this mountain.

Hardly see any other group climbing this mountain but ours only. So if you like a quiet mountain without many people climbing, this is the mountain for you. I hope to come back again and have more time to climb.

Gunung Angsi Trek (21 - 22 July 2017)


by Hua Chai Sing

8 of us left on fri 21 july 2017 around 11pm from spore. It was led by George Seet.

We reached the foothills of Gunung Angsi on the early morning of Saturday 22 July 2017.

We started by trekking near the streams and some small waterfalls with fallen logs nearby. The sounds of streams flowing made our trekking so calm and serene. We can hear the sounds of gushing waters.

Once the streams were out of sight, we started our hiking up the hills. There were about 5 hills stacked up on one another. We had to hike upwards and in some hills there were ropes to be used if one wants to reach the TOP. The journey at the TOP was so nice and there will Breeze to welcome us.

After taking pictures, it was time to go down the same path we came from. It was a few hours hiking back. A nice dinner awaited us when we finished our climb. It was a memorable climb. We admire some of the hills that define Gunung Angsi.

O Angsi, we hope to see you again soon.

Pelepah Waterfalls (16 July 2017)


by Hua Chai Sing

On Sunday morning at 7.30am, July 16, 2017, a group of about 18 persons from Singapore (9 years old to late 60s) happily met at Marsiling MRT and boarded two vans to take us to Kota Tinggi.

The cold water invigorates us and all the guys and ladies and child enjoyed it tremendously. Our leader, Yee Lee was assisted by John and Kwah Peng Siong and all of them were there for us ensuring that we enjoyed ourselves and reached home safely at around 9.30pm.

Although Yee Lee had a swell on his knee from previous fall a day earlier, the water fall provided a miraculous healing for him. His swell were gone by the time he immersed himself in the water fall. Such was the nature of greeneries and the water falls that livens up our atmosphere.

We also learnt about the ropes (Rope 101) and how to balance (Balance 101) ourselves well. Overall the trip endeared us to each other and the welcoming sight of the oil palms estate welcomes us at the entrance and back from the water falls.

The top was mainly sandy with monkey plants and small pitcher plants. The aroma of the whole place was full of oxygen and had a cooling effect on all of us. In a way, the nature brought us closer and filled us with so much happiness as we ate our 10 course dinner with great eagerness.

The trip was rated excellent overall and we would recommend to all our friends and family members. What a great day of happiness despite all the soreness that we had. It is a day to cherish for all of us.

Loas – Tree Top Discovery Adventure 2014 (2014)


by Tan Yee Lee

Ten of us who sign up for a two days one night tree top discovery adventure plus the guide leader and provisions for the two days were packed into a SUV for the ride from Parkse (2nd largest town in Laos) to Nongleun village, which is the starting point for the trek to the tree top camp/jungle resort. The ten of us include four ladies and two men from SAC, two Singaporean undergraduate on an independent tour and two Swiss ladies.

The drive takes about one and a half hours, starting on paved road and then on eroded country road, the route reminds me of the old Malaysian trunk road where there are road side stalls selling local produced like durian and vegetables. After much bumping and rolling in the SUV we reached the coffee plantation village shop of Nongluen, this shop also doubled as a store for equipment for tree top. The jungle tree top resort can only be reached by foot, no cars, no noise, and no fumes just pure fresh air.

At the village we change into trekking clothes, put on safety helmet and full body harness, the weather there was cool and as soon as we start a drizzle gives us a drenching and blessing for an adventure well beyond our imagination. The trek was led by the guide leader and his three assistants --- who can make this trip heavenly of hellish, led into the coffee plantation and then the forest path, after about an hour trekking we came to a rocky clearing where we stop for rest and lunch. The outdoor lunch was laid on banana leaves in a roll, we had vegetables, fried meat probably mutton, fish, balls of sticky rice and banana. After lunch we continue trekking the route from then onwards was virgin jungle with very large trees, it was wet, steep and slippery slopes, soon we come to a deep ravine with a canopy walk across it, after crossing the shaky bridge we sighted our first Zip Line. Zip lining, aerial runway of flying through the air on a high wire, consist of a pulley suspended on a steel cable mounted on and incline, the user propelled by gravity travel from top to bottom by clamping the free moving pulley to the cable, user will need a hooked stick to control the speed when reaching the bottom or lower platform usually secured to mid-section of a big tree. We gather around the guide leader as he gives a briefing on the safety aspect of zip lining. The two guide assistants were the first to zip and demonstrate how zip lining is done; very soon it’s our turn to do the zip. After clamping our pulley and safety line on the steel cable and stepped off the launching pad into the air, above the trees top and 200ft from the ground you will fly down the line gathering speed passing through tall trees, waterfalls, ravines, rivers and rainbows, like a bird, and before you know it the guide assistant and your friends at the receiving platform shouting “BRAKE! BRAKE!” and you pull your hooked stick down hard on the cable behind your and let friction slow you down --- after several zip you can make a perfect landing. We do another five more zip lining, after landing on the platform we had to abseil down to the ground trek some distance to the next zip pad, the last zip of the day was the most thrilling --- the length is 400 meters and we zip across a 100 meter high waterfall, with a rainbow, deep ravine and a river flowing below, that day when we do the zip it was windy and the wind blow the water mist towards us, we were drenched to the skin. After a short hike we came to a board walk that leads us to the camp restaurant.

The restaurant is actually an elevated wooden shed on stilts with a viewing platform of the waterfall, there is a kitchen in one corner, a very useful fireplace with constant hot water for making tea or coffee, in the center is a long table, benches with backrest on both sides, sit easily 16 persons, at the side is a filtered drinking water top up station, next to it a wash basin with running water. There is electrical lighting when they run the generator from 7pm to 9 in the night. It was raining heavily, the ladies have to queue to shower as there were only 2 cubicles, and some of the men took their bath right under the run-off gutter. With clean and dry clothes on we wait for dinner which did not disappoint under such environment. After sorting out our belonging we go for an early bed --- we were supposed to sleep in the tree house but because of the wind and rain the guide leader suggest we sleep in the dormitory as some were quite exhausted.

The next day after breakfast --- we have eggs, French loaf, banana etc., we go for a trek on another route and do 5 more zip. We missed the swimming in the waterfall pool because the waterfall was at its peak. We go back to the restaurant for lunch, and prepare to leave the camp.

The climb out of the camp is another tough assignment, we need to cross two rivers --- the end is the waterfall, and the crossing is just 2 steel cables, and then the 50 meters vertical rock wall, My heart almost stopped when we were told that we have to climb over it.

From this Tree Top Discovery Adventure we discover that we had done all the things which in the beginning we doubt we were capable of!